Making #1; Sterile Hood


  • 1/4 in. x 4 ft. x 8 ft. PureBond Birch Plywood (actual thickness 5mm) Homedepot
  • Ikea range hood LUFTIG (190CFM) Ikea
  • Filtrete True HEPA Air Purifier Filter, size D Lowes
  • 8 ft. 16/2 Power Tool Replacement Cord Homedepot
  • Phillips Pan-Head Machine Screws, Hex Nuts, and washer (M5 and M3)

Adobe Illustrator file

My sterile hood design is based on BioHack Academy’s design below.

A range hood I found from a local Ikea store was LUFTIG. The fan motor was screwed on the body of hood and I took the fan out. Also the largest available HEPA filter was “size D” (345 x 300 x 36mm). I designed my sterile hood based on mainly these two factors. I used wood glue for all of the plywood panels except the top/cover panel. It’s held by M3 screws so that I could access inside. For finishing, a coat of Shellac was sprayed and light sandeding was applied with 400 grit sand papers.

The air flow is not so great. I’m considering getting a better fan from Ikea (225CFM) and also filling in some area near the fan to create better air flow.

Ikea range hood LUFTIG Ikea range hood LUFTIG

Laser cutting 5mm (1/4in) Birch Plywood

Right and back side

Work area

Top view without the cover panel

Hot glue gun to seal any edges for better air flow

Can’t wait to do a contamination test!!

Waiting for spring…

Written on February 9, 2019